An invertebrate outreach education program.
The Bugmobile is a mobile education program that offers interactive hands-on programs all about insects. The Bugmobile offers up-close encounters with insects from your own backyard and around the world! Through live animal presentations as well as lots of engaging, hands-on activities, the Bugmobile offers programs on life-cycles, habitats, classification, and lots more!
- Bugmobile is reserved on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please book early, we are booked 2-3 months in advance.
- The Bugmobile accepts reservations up to 6 months in advance.
- In lieu of a mileage fee, we now require a 2 program minimum for presentations outside of Orleans and Jefferson parish. You can collaborate with teachers at your school or with teachers at nearby facilities to meet this minimum. Please contact us to find out when we will be in your area.
- Please note the minimum age requirement for programs is 3 years old.
Bugmobile program types:
- Schools and Camps
The Bugmobile features a 30 - 45 minute interactive lesson for classroom-sized audiences with up to 26 people for Pre-K-1st grade, and 35 people for 2nd-8th grade. COST: $125.00 per presentation. A maximum of 4 presentations can be offered per visit.
- Hospitals and Libraries
The Bugmobile program includes a 60-minute assembly-style presentation for audiences of all sizes. COST: $100.00 per presentation.
- Fairs & Festivals
The Bugmobile features an engaging tabletop program where guests are encouraged to explore the natural world through live animals and artifacts. COST: $200 per hour. Maximum of 3 hours per event.
- We're All Entomologists (PreK - 2)
Can you tell the difference between a cockroach and a ladybug? Then you’re an entomologist too! Explore the wonders of the arthropod world and learn how they’re not so different from the animals we see every day.
- Mysteries of Metamorphosis (PreK - 2)
Eggs and larvae and pupae, oh my! Insects do incredible things to grow from egg to adult. Investigate the huge changes that insects undergo over their life cycles.
- Little Bodies, BIG Impact (3-5)
Insects might be small, but their power is mighty. From pollinating flowers to cleaning up waste, insects play a much larger role than their sizes suggest. Develop a bug-based food web to discover the important interactions that insects facilitate.
- Bug Eat Bug World (4-6)
To eat or not to eat, that is the question. Explore the different adaptations insects have developed to protect themselves from predators or know what is safe to eat. Explore arthropod predation and adaptation, and how these animals have adapted to survive in a bug eat bug world.
- BEE the Change (6-8)
Insect populations have decreased drastically in recent years – with monumental effects on the planet – but it isn’t too late to help the little animals that help us every day! Explore what we can do to help save “the little things that run the world.”