WHAT TO EXPECT
When you join Audubon to Explore the Wild, you’ll enjoy a classic African safari experience in Kenya, including destination such as Nairobi, Samburu Reserve, Mount Kenya, Lake Nakuru National Park, and the Maasai Mara. Travelers will be guided by local wildlife naturalists and an Audubon Nature Institute expert on this incredible itinerary planned with expert tour operators Classic Escapes.
The trip offers many, many opportunities to see African animals at a distance and up-close from your accommodations, a safari vehicle, or face-to-face, depending on the location and species. As the trip moves from destination to destination, you will stay in a variety of first-class accommodations. Including the Residences at Karen (former home of “Out of Africa” author Danish Baroness Karen Blixen), the Ashnil Samburu Camp, the Serena Mountain Lodge, the Sarova Lion Hill Lodge, and the Ashnil Mara Camp (exact lodgings are subject to change).
Experiences will include a visit to the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust, a nursery and rehab center for infant elephants; the African Fund for Endangered Wildlife Nature Center near Giraffe Manor, where you can hand-feed Rothschild giraffes; a guided nature walk in the forest at the base of Mount Kenya; an animal-spotting trek through the Samburu Reserve; and a journey into the Masai Mara, where wildlife co-exist with local cattle-tending Masai tribespeople.
Up-close interactions with the animals and people of Kenya will show you the importance wildlife conservation programs have on African communities. A portion of the proceeds from the travel fees will be donated to the Reticulated Giraffe Project, and half a day of the itinerary will be spent with this important organization so you can see the impact of your generosity firsthand.
Interested in learning more about this once-in-a-lifetime adventure?
See the FAQs below and join us on Thursday, September 12, at the Nims Meeting Room at Audubon Zoo at 6:30 p.m. for a special information session, where we’ll share details about this incredible opportunity and answer your questions. Book by October 5, 2019 to receive a special $250 discount!
Travel FAQs are available on Classic Escapes’ website: https://www.classicescapes.com/faq/
Q. How much does the trip cost?
- Packages not including airfare begin at $4,995 per person. Packages that include airfare or additional excursions can be purchased for additional fees.
Q. What does the price include?
- Superior accommodations
- American breakfast in Nairobi; all meals while on safari; other meals as specified, including a welcome dinner
- All wildlife viewing by 4x4 vehicle, driven by a driver/guide.
- A specialist guide
- A maximum of six travelers per vehicle — a window seat is guaranteed
- Visit to Chimpanzee Sanctuary in Sweetwaters
- Complimentary bottled water in vehicles
- All park entry fees
- Gratuities for baggage handling, hotel tips and taxes for included services
- Complimentary passport wallet and luggage tags
- Emergency evacuation insurance
Q. Is there a discount for Members?
- There is no Audubon Member discount for this trip.
Q. Who will be guiding the trip?
- An Audubon Nature Institute expert and local wildlife naturalists arranged by the tour operator, Classic Escapes.
Q. What’s the deadline to book?
- Final payment is due March 2, 2020 (making a booking after this date may be possible, but cannot be guaranteed)
- If you book early, you will need to provide a $1,000 deposit at the time of booking.
- If you book before October 5, 2019, you will receive a $250 discount on your booking!
Q. Where will we go?
- Destinations in Kenya will include Nairobi, Samburu Reserve, Mount Kenya, Lake Nakuru National Park, and the Maasai Mara
Q. Will I get to see animals?
- Yes! The trip offers many, many opportunities to see African animals at a distance and up-close from your accommodations, a safari vehicle, or face-to-face, depending on the location and species.
Q. Where will we stay?
- The trip will move among a variety of accommodations as you travel from destination to destination. Lodging will include: the Residences at Karen, the Ashnil Samburu Camp, the Serena Mountain Lodge, the Sarova Lion Hill Lodge, and the Ashnil Mara Camp (subject to change)
Q. Can I bring kids?
- Yes, kids are permitted when accompanied by an adult. Please keep in mind mobility and health requirements for travel. The booking rate for a child is the same as an adult.
Q. Do I have to book my own flights?
- Only if you want to! You can choose to either book your own flights and meet the group in Nairobi or purchase your flights through Classic Escapes with your booking for an additional fee.
Q. How do I find more information on things like inoculations/vaccinations, travel insurance, visas, luggage, and disability accommodations?
- The FAQs page of Classic Escapes’ website: https://www.classicescapes.com/faq/
By attending this event you consent to Audubon Nature Institute's Photography Policy.