The Sea Lion Department is seeking applicants for 2018 internship positions in marine mammal training and care.
The Basic Sea Lion Internship at Audubon Zoo in New Orleans, Louisiana is designed for college students or recent college graduates who are interested in a career in marine mammal training. Our interns work side-by-side with experienced marine mammal trainers and educators. Interns will be exposed to all aspects of the daily care and training of California sea lions. We are currently seeking interns for our SUMMER internship that will run from May/June to August/September and our FALL internship that will run from August/September to November/December. For qualified hard working candidates there is the opportunity to take part in the Advanced Sea Lion Internship following the completion of the Basic requirements..
- Assist in diet preparation, exhibit maintenance, cleaning, water quality testing and other section responsibilities.
- Assist trainers in training and husbandry sessions.
- Implement enrichment for sea lions and design original enrichment.
- Complete weekly study guides and quizzes.
- Participate in lecture series given by the training staff.
- Speak on microphone during daily educational presentations in the Sea Lion Theater.
- Can earn the opportunity to feed and ask for basic behaviors.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have successfully completed one semester of college.
- Must be able to afford housing, food, and transportation to and from the zoo as this is a full time (40 hours per week) unpaid internship.
- Must be available for the full 14 week internship period.
- Must be able to lift 50lbs and work in all weather environments (extreme heat and humidity, rain, and freezing temperatures).
- Must provide a current negative TB test prior to start date.
- Must be able to acquire housing on own.
- Must be a self motivated, upbeat, and hard working individual.
In the event their preferred placement has been filled, qualified applicants may be referred to other Audubon departments. By submitting application materials, the candidate agrees to release their information to our internship staff.
Audubon Nature Institute is proud to offer excellent professional training and experience in a variety of career tracks through our internship program. Placements are seasonally available in administration, animal care, conservation, development, education, volunteer management, and others. Candidates must be at least 18 years old to apply. To learn more about Audubon’s internship program, contact:
Maria Kohls, Volunteer & Intern Manager
About Audubon Internships
Basic internships last approximately 12 weeks, in which interns develop a variety of professional skills through guided instruction and hands-on experience. Some advanced placements, lasting up to 6 months, are available for well-qualified candidates.
In addition to the core curriculum provided through each professional track, Audubon offers its program participants supplemental opportunities to learn about the operations of an AZA-accredited facility, the care and management of a diverse animal collection, the tools needed to engage and inspire guests, and much more.
Audubon accepts applications for available positions on a rolling basis. If no deadline is indicated in the position description, please refer to the schedule below for each session’s start window and application deadline. Be sure to indicate your preferred session on your application. An intern’s exact start and end date will vary according to the needs of each section.
2018 Start Windows
January 7 – February 21
May 6 – June 20
Aug 5 – September 19
November 4 – November 28