The husbandry team at Freeport-McMoRan Audubon Species Survival Center is seeking applicants for a crane internship. Position includes housing stipend.
Location: Freeport-McMoRan Audubon Species Survival Center (FMASSC) New Orleans, LA
Application due date:
September 1, 2022
March - November 2023
9 month internship (37 weeks)
Works 5 days per week (40 hrs). Including weekends and holidays.
Free onsite housing
Stipend $200 per week (gross pay)
About the Species Survival Center:
The Freeport-McMoRan Audubon Species Survival Center (FMASSC) is a breeding and conservation facility run by Audubon Nature Institute. It is a unique piece of property that expands approximately 1,000 acres in an area south of downtown New Orleans and is closed to the general public. The FMASSC is historically known for its innovative research in exotic feline reproduction at its research facility, the “Audubon Center for Research of Endangered Species (ACRES),” and its endangered Crane Recovery Programs. The Crane Recovery Center is 16 acres and raises whooping cranes and Mississippi sandhill cranes every year for release into the wild.
Summary of Position:
Interns will gain valuable hands-on experience working with a large collection of endangered whooping cranes and Mississippi sandhill cranes and other various bird species at this AZA certified facility. Interns will gain experience in husbandry, enrichment, record keeping, diet preparation, monitoring animal behavior, assist in egg processing, costume-rearing of chicks, artificial insemination, pen design and maintenance, and veterinary procedures as they relate to general animal care. This internship offers a stipend and free onsite housing. The position is contingent on passing a background check and drug test.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Daily tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Diet preparation
- Feeding Cleaning enclosures (raking, sweeping, mopping, hosing etc.)
- Behavioral observations
- Facility maintenance (fence repair, mowing, weed eating, painting, etc.)
- Helping maintain and service incubators and the eggs within
- Wearing heavy denim costumes while walking, feeding, and cleaning around chicks
- Daily care for individual birds, pairs, flocks, and chicks
- Preparation and administering of enrichment items
- Assist staff with veterinary procedures when required
- Interns living on grounds are expected to keep the house clean
- A sincere interest in birds.
- Strong interest in animal care, husbandry and conservation.
- Comprehensive understanding of avian imprinting and it’s relation to costume rearing
- Capable of accurately following written and verbal directions, policies and protocols.
- Good attitude and solid work ethic.
- Ability to work alone or as part of a team.
- Ability to work outdoors in physically demanding adverse conditions (heat, humidity, rain, biting insects, poison ivy, and snakes etc.), limited visibility, and lift 50 lbs.
- Up-to-date tetanus vaccination and proof of negative TB skin test prior to beginning work.
- Must be able to pass a background check and drug test.
How to Apply:
- Cover letter - please state “stipend crane internship position” in your coverletter or email so we know what you are applying for
- 3 Reference contacts
COVID-19 PROOF OF VACCINATION REQUIRED FOR ALL INTERNS AS FOLLOWS:
All Audubon Nature Institute employees, interns and volunteers must submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or request a medical or religious exemption. Those granted a vaccination exemption must show proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours every time they come on campus.
Applicants coming on campus will need to present one of the following:
(a) Proof of at least at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine that has received full approval or emergency use authorization from the U.S. FDA or the WHO
– OR –
(b) a negative PCR or antibody COVID test taken within the last 72 hours to come onsite.
Acceptable proof of vaccination includes:
- LA Wallet App SMART Health Card
- An original, digital photo, or photocopy of CDC Vaccination Card (both sides)
- An official vaccine record issued by another state, a foreign nation or the WHO (World Health Organization)