The Asian Domain department at Audubon Zoo is seeking applicants to fill our 2018/2019 internship positions.
This internship provides an exciting opportunity to gain hands-on experience in exotic animal husbandry, all while working with a variety of Asiatic species including large carnivores. The program is geared toward individuals interested in zoo keeping as a career but may also benefit those pursuing careers in conservation and other related fields.
During this internship, interns will work side-by-side with animal care staff and gain experience in:
• Animal husbandry in a zoo setting
• Diet preparation
• Animal enrichment and behavioral observations
• Operant conditioning training
• Exhibit and facility maintenance
• Informal public presentations about animal natural histories and conservation
This is an unpaid internship and housing is not provided.
Must be able to commit to 4 full days per week (32 hours), including holidays and weekends, for 12 weeks. Start dates are flexible.
• Must be at least 18 years old and demonstrate an interest in animal care and husbandry.
• Must be able to provide own housing and transportation.
• Previous animal care experience and/or coursework in a related field is strongly preferred.
Candidates must be able to:
• Walk/stand for extended periods of time.
• Lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
• Sit, stoop, bend, kneel, etc. for extended periods of time.
• Effectively use common cleaning equipment on a regular basis (brooms, shovels, rakes, scrub brushes, etc.).
• Effectively communicate with staff and other interns/volunteers.
• Understand and follow both verbal and written instructions.
• Effectively use phones and handheld two-way radios.
This internship includes a lot of manual work outdoors in all kinds of weather (e.g. heat, humidity, rain), so an ability and willingness to work in adverse conditions and temperature fluctuations is required. Candidates also must be able to work attentively and safely around potentially dangerous animals.
2019 Session Dates & Application Deadlines
Applicants are read and accepted on a rolling basis, but our general application deadlines are as follows:
• Winter 2018 (Nov-Feb 2019)------------Sept 1, 2018
• Spring (Feb – May)-----------------------December 1, 2018
• Summer (May – Aug)--------------------March 1, 2019
• Fall (Aug – Nov)---------------------------June 1, 2019
• Winter (Nov – Feb 2020)----------------Sept 1, 2019
How to Apply
In the event their preferred placement has been filled, qualified applicants may be referred to other Audubon departments. By submitting application materials, the candidate agrees to release their information to our internship staff.
Audubon Nature Institute is proud to offer excellent professional training and experience in a variety of career tracks through our internship program. Placements are seasonally available in administration, animal care, conservation, development, education, volunteer management, and others. Candidates must be at least 18 years old to apply. To learn more about Audubon’s internship program, contact:
Maria Kohls, Volunteer & Intern Manager
About Audubon Internships
Basic internships last approximately 12 weeks, in which interns develop a variety of professional skills through guided instruction and hands-on experience. Some advanced placements, lasting up to 6 months, are available for well-qualified candidates.
In addition to the core curriculum provided through each professional track, Audubon offers its program participants supplemental opportunities to learn about the operations of an AZA-accredited facility, the care and management of a diverse animal collection, the tools needed to engage and inspire guests, and much more.
Audubon accepts applications for available positions on a rolling basis. If no deadline is indicated in the position description, please refer to the schedule below for each session’s start window and application deadline. Be sure to indicate your preferred session on your application. An intern’s exact start and end date will vary according to the needs of each section.
2018 Start Windows
January 7 – February 21
May 6 – June 20
Aug 5 – September 19
November 4 – November 28