Audubon Aquarium of the America’s Education Department is seeking applicants for an internship program working directly with the Outreach coordinators.
The desired candidate will deliver informal Animal Life Science and Conservation education programs directly related to the Audubon Nature Institute Mission (celebrating the wonders of nature) to outreach audiences. The Outreach Intern will be involved with updating, developing, and presenting programs that are both educational and entertaining. This is an excellent opportunity to blend a passion for conservation with an enthusiasm for engaging the public! 15-35 hours per week, minimum of 250 hours total per internship. Unpaid.
- Basic understanding of Biology and Animal Sciences
- Passion for conservation efforts
- Must be comfortable presenting programs to groups of children (toddlers to high school) and adults in offsite community events, auditoriums, classrooms, hospitals, nursing homes, camps, after school programs and other education programs as needed
- Organizational skills required to research selected program topics
- Creative skills to transform educational material into entertaining, interactive programs, including developing small props, activities, and games
- Excellent presentation skills with the ability to adapt to audiences of different ages and sizes
- Previous knowledge and/or willingness to handle exotic animals including invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals
- Ability to supervise and communicate with youth and adult volunteers
- Ability to stay on feet for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to handle prolonged periods of time outdoors in various weather conditions
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Ability to lift 30-40 pounds
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with a cover letter that states why you are interested in the position offered. Also include any special skills that you might have to help enhance audience’s experience.
In the event their preferred placement has been filled, qualified applicants may be referred to other Audubon departments. By submitting application materials, the candidate agrees to release their information to our internship staff.
module Internship Footer}