The Hoofstock department is currently seeking applicants for its 2018 internship placements.
The Audubon Zoo is currently accepting applications for a zookeeper internship program in their African Savanna section for the Spring session (Jan/Feb - Mar/Apr). During the course of this internship candidates will be given the exciting opportunity to work alongside some of the most profound species the African savanna has to offer and then some! The section currently includes: Southern white rhinos, red river hogs, zebra, wildebeest, guanacos, maned wolves, giant anteaters, giraffe (Reticulated and Rothschild), African painted dogs (including 10 adorable pups!), eland, and gazelle. This internship will not only provide valuable hands on experience in exotic animal husbandry, but will also teach the importance of record keeping, training, conservation and exhibit maintenance. Individuals will also be given the opportunity to perform informal public presentations in order to educate our guests on our animal’s natural histories as well as conservation initiatives.
This internship is geared towards enthusiastic, hardworking, and motivated individuals interested in the zoo keeping field as well as other conservation related careers.
Although some flexibility is built into this program, successful applicants must be able to fulfill the general requirements listed below. This is an unpaid internship and housing is not provided.
- 12 weeks (3 months) with a minimum of 4 days (8 hours/day) per week including holidays and weekends. Schedules are flexible and more hours may be available if desired. Start/End dates are also flexible.
- The majority of the work for this internship entails manual work outdoors. Therefore, applicants must be willing and able to work in all weather conditions.
- Must be comfortable working around animals of all sizes and behave appropriately
- Must be able to push, pull, lift and carry heavy objects up to 75 lbs
- Must be able to walk/stand for extended periods of time
- Must provide proof of a current negative TB test
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must demonstrate an interest in animal care and husbandry. Previous animal care experience and/or coursework in a related field is preferred.
- Must be able to follow both written and verbal instructions and effectively communicate with coworkers.
- Must be able to educate our guests about wildlife in a fun and friendly manner.
If your preferred placement has been filled, qualified applicants may be referred to other Audubon departments. By submitting application materials, the candidate agrees to release their information to our internship staff.
Audubon Nature Institute is proud to offer excellent professional training and experience in a variety of career tracks through our internship program. Placements are seasonally available in administration, animal care, conservation, development, education, volunteer management, and others. Candidates must be at least 18 years old to apply. To learn more about Audubon’s internship program, contact:
Maria Kohls, Volunteer & Intern Manager
About Audubon Internships
Basic internships last approximately 12 weeks, in which interns develop a variety of professional skills through guided instruction and hands-on experience. Some advanced placements, lasting up to 6 months, are available for well-qualified candidates.
In addition to the core curriculum provided through each professional track, Audubon offers its program participants supplemental opportunities to learn about the operations of an AZA-accredited facility, the care and management of a diverse animal collection, the tools needed to engage and inspire guests, and much more.
Audubon accepts applications for available positions on a rolling basis. If no deadline is indicated in the position description, please refer to the schedule below for each session’s start window and application deadline. Be sure to indicate your preferred session on your application. An intern’s exact start and end date will vary according to the needs of each section.
2018 Start Windows
January 7 – February 21
May 6 – June 20
Aug 5 – September 19
November 4 – November 28