Explore the science of what's biting you in this traveling exhibit until September 1!
Attack of the Bloodsuckers!
The Beasties that Bite You ... and Why!
This kid-friendly exhibition examines the what, why, when, and how of mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, leeches, and other parasites. Learn why bloodsuckers are important to the ecosystem, and how to keep them out of your system!
Designed for a family audience.
Catch it before it leaves on September 1.
- Mosquito Cockpit - Imagine you are a mosquito itching for a bite. Your mission? Track down your last meal!
- Carbon Dioxide Detector - Measure the invisible carbon dioxide gas in your breath. Mosquitoes follow this gas trail to locate a target.
- Breathing Mist - See the wispy mist from a target's breath. A mosquito can sense wisps of breath up to half a mile away!
- Moving Target - Turn the dial, and, like a mosquito, you can see an object more easily when it moves. Also test how images look with a mosquito's compound eyes.
- Feel the Heat - Use temperature to find a hot meal! Aim the heat detector to find out where your friend's arm is hidden – even through a shirt sleeve.
- Wentzcopes - Take a close look at some familiar bloodsuckers that you normally try to avoid: a head louse, flea, bed bug, tick, and mosquito.
- Suckers Talk Back - Bloodsuckers plead for their lives! The mosquito, leech, tick, and black fly explain their important place in the natural world.
- Inflatable Tick - Meet Ms. Phillipa Tick, a giant inflatable tick. Have a seat in her lap and become her next meal – as her body inflates, she'll "grow" on you! Fun photo op!
- Live Mosquitoes and Leeches - Spend time with some live mosquitoes and leeches, all safely contained in escape-proof tubes.
- Tool Time - Be a mosquito! Use your probe to find a vein in an arm. Get a close-up look at a mosquito's proboscis (tube-mouth), and the slicing jaws and suction-cup mouths other bloodsuckers use to get their blood meals.
- And Lots More!
Join us for Mosquito Fest, July 27. This family-friendly event is free at the Audubon Louisiana Nature Center. It will feature fun activities, a blood drive, free CPR and Stop the Bleed class, experts from Audubon Butterfly Garden & Insectarium and New Orleans Mosquito Control, food truck and more!