Take the first step to protect our oceans from plastic pollution.
In the United States alone, plastic waste averages more than 270 pounds per person each year.
If nothing changes, by 2025 the flow of plastic into the ocean is expected to double.
Audubon Nature Institute's Efforts
We have made tackling plastic pollution a major priority. Since 2017, we have kept half a million individual pieces of plastic out of the environment by:
- Eliminating straws at our facilities.
- Getting rid of plastic bags in our gift shops.
- Switching from plastic water bottles to aluminum canned and bottled water.
How you can help
Sign up for Plastic Free July
Audubon Nature Institute is teaming up with zoos and aquariums across the country to host the Plastic Free July challenge. This is a 31-day global challenge to reduce and refuse single-use plastics.
Audubon has signed on as a title sponsor of the challenge and is spearheading the effort in New Orleans by creating a “Plastic Free New Orleans” team that the public can join.
The challenge takes place through an easy-to-use online platform. Once signed up, participants can choose daily actions to focus on throughout the month, then track their progress, share successes and challenges with their teammates, and earn points for completed actions. Extra points are awarded to those who refer friends and family through their online profile.
New to the plastic reduction effort and don’t know where to start? Try ditching these top four disposable habits for July: straws, bags, coffee cups, and water bottles.
At the end of the month, Audubon will recognize top “Plastic Free New Orleans” team participants with eco-friendly prizes. There will also be a special Plastic Free July happy hour at Miel Brewery on July 31 from 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. to celebrate a successful month.
How to Sign Up
- Visit plasticfree.ecochallenge.org
- Create an account by entering your name and contact information.
- Under “Create or Join a Team,” select “Join an Existing Team.”
- Search “Plastic Free New Orleans.”
- Join Audubon Nature Institute's team.
- Select your challenges. You can edit these any time. The challenge begins July 1!