An invertebrate outreach education program.
The Bugmobile is a mobile education program that offers interactive hands-on programs all about insects. The Bugmobile offers up-close encounters with insects from your own backyard and around the world! Through live animal presentations as well as lots of engaging, hands-on activities, the Bugmobile offers programs on life-cycles, habitats, classification, and lots more!
- Bugmobile is reserved on a first come, first served basis.
- Please book early, we are booked 2-3 months in advance.
- The Bugmobile accepts reservations up to 6 months in advance.
- In lieu of a mileage fee we now require a 2 program minimum for presentations outside of Orleans and Jefferson parish. You can collaborate with teachers at your school or with teachers at nearby facilities to meet this minimum. Please contact us to find out when we will be in your area.
- Please note the minimum age requirement for programs is 3 years old.
Bugmobile program types:
- Schools and Camps
The Bugmobile features a 30-45 minute interactive lesson for classroom sized audiences with up to 26 people for Pre-K-1st grade, and up to 35 people for 2nd grade and above. COST: $75.00 per presentation. A maximum of 4 presentations can be offered per visit.
- Hospitals and Libraries
The Bugmobile program includes a 60-minute assembly-style presentation for audiences of all sizes. COST: $100.00 per presentation.
- Assembly Programs
The Bugmobile features an interactive presentation for 150 people. Please note the minimum grade for assemblies is 4th grade. COST: $275 per presentation. A maximum of 2 assemblies can be offered per visit.
- Fairs & Festivals
The Bugmobile features an engaging tabletop program where guests are encouraged to explore the natural world through live animals and artifacts. COST: $200 per hour. Maximum of 3 hours per event.
- Early Entomologists (preK - 3rd)
What's in a bug? Learn what it means to be an insect or an arachnid, how to tell them apart, and why they matter. This program introduces students to the wonders of invertebrates, the scientists who study them, and can be adapted for a variety of ages.
- Get a Life Cycle (preK - 5th)
Little bugs, big changes! Some bugs just need to grow up. Join us to "insectigate" metamorphosis and compare the life cycles of various invertebrates. Learners will compare and contrast larva, pupa and adult organisms. Live animals will primarily be adult bugs along with biofacts and pictures of various stages.
- What's for Lunch? (2nd - 7th)
Order up! Bugs are a critical part of our world and the food chain. They exist around us in huge numbers and we depend on them for survival. Learn about the impact these little critters have on us and get the chance to join the food chain and eat a bug!
- Little bodies, BIG jobs (2nd - 5th)
They may be tiny, but these bugs sure do have BIG jobs. Let’s meet some of the important animals that play a BIG role in keeping our ecosystem in balance. In this lesson we will explore the different jobs that consumers, producers, and decomposers have and why they are so important.
- Magic of Metamorphosis (K-4th)
ABRACADABRA BEES AND BUTTERFLIES! Come explore the “Magic of Metamorphosis” thru this life changing magic show. We will compare the different life cycles and talk about the magical way they go from one stage to the other. Lots of magical surprises in this fun show!