Reporting directly to the Facility Services Manager, the facility services technician is responsible for the cleanliness level of the Aquarium, Insectarium, Giant screen Theatre and a portion of the Aquarium/Insectarium building.
Provide a guest experience of outstanding quality
- Conduct projects during hours that facilities are closed.
- High dust pipes, ductwork, vents, fixtures, graphics or any other high structure. This will require you to be able to carry and work with ladders as well as working in a high reach lift.
- Cleaning all carpets, hard floors and any other flooring throughout the building. This will include deep sweeper vacuuming as well as shampooing, bonnet buffing, stripping, waxing, mopping and any other related duties.
- Keeping inventory of project carts and supplies. This includes, but is not limited to cleaning products, vacuums, mops, buckets, garbage bags, paper supplies and any other equipment needed to do your every day job. It is your responsibility to notify your manager if any supplies are needed and to make sure your cart and closet is stocked at all times
- Keeping all of your equipment in a clean and working order. You will also be responsible to secure said equipment in order to prevent damage and/or theft of said equipment.
- Emptying trash receptacles, waste baskets, and any other trash bins. You will be responsible for picking up trash throughout the building as well as the walkways outside. (Front Entrance and Plaza areas)
- Building assessments to ensure that all areas of the building are clean as well as project planning.
- You must be able to work with various cleaning products. You must also be able to read material safety data sheets (MSDS). You must be informed and be able to use the equipment for the purpose that it is intended and in an approved and safe manner.
- Cleaning of all restrooms, including but not limited to floors, walls, sink, faucets, toilets, urinals, etc.
Weave quality entertainment through the guest experience
- Proficient in operating various pieces of equipment needed to perform job responsibilities, including but not limited to; shampooer, buffers, fork lift, man lift, pressure washer and other related equipment.
- Responsible for the execution and completion of the interior floor maintenance projects.
- Work unsupervised and with facility services team.
- Adhere to all safety standards in the use of equipment, products and PPE.
Educate our diverse audience about the natural world.
- Enhance the guest experience by guiding and educating our guests. Answer guests questions and concerns with a positive attitude and demeanor.
- Approach guests with explanations of the galleries they are visiting
- If you don’t know an answer to a guest’s question, ask a coworker.
- Never leave a guest’s question unanswered.
Experience: Housekeeping background preferred. Floor equipment knowledge preferred.
Licensure/Certification: ValidDriver’s License Required, Required to complete GSA background certification upon completion of 3 month satisfactory probationary period.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent
Machinery/Tools/Equipment Requirements: Must have the ability to use shampooers, bonnet buffers, vacuum cleaners, high lifts and forklifts.
- Heavy work: exerting up to 75 pounds of force occasionally, or a negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects. Involves walking or standing for extended periods of time.
- Sitting or standing, bending, stooping, and the ability to carry items weighing up to 45 pounds.
- Constant adequate range of motion and mobility required.
- Regular near acuity with clarity of vision at 20 inches or less required.
- Typical ability to collect and analyze numerical and written data and verbal information to reach logical conclusions and ability to determine the time, place and sequence of operations or actions required.
- Regular talking and the ability to express and exchange ideas by means of language expected.
- Regular hearing and the ability to perceive the nature of sounds.
- Constant ability to read, record, or type data quickly and accurately required.
- Working long hours between breaks or meals required.
- Ability to work under and handle stress in an appropriate manner required.
- May be exposed to high, medium, or low noise intensity.
- Constant contact with co-workers required.
- Affinity for animals preferred.
- Exposure to fluctuations in temperatures may be required.
- Exposure to outdoor conditions may be required.
- Exposure to chemicals used for regular cleaning of facility