The First Cook is primarily responsible for all culinary preparation and presentation of all food for the Clubhouse Café, private events, in addition to some supervisory requirements. Reporting to the Executive Chef and receiving additional direction from the Sous Chef, the First Cook’s position is a “working chef’s position” directly responsible for culinary preparation and presentation of a La Carte and catering food. The First Cook assumes full responsibility of all kitchen line staff in the absence of Executive Chef, Sous Chef and lead first cook.
Provide a guest experience of outstanding quality
- Prepare food for Clubhouse Café and private events which is natural, fresh, green, and prepared to fit in with the natural setting and mission.
- Uphold all guidelines set by the Louisiana Health Department
- Maintain standards of excellence in culinary mastery
- Assist with plate up during private events
- Supervise line staff in culinary preparation
- Maintain kitchen cleanliness
- Assist with purchasing process, cost control, and scheduling of staff if assigned by sous chef
- Fully knowledgeable in kitchen safety and equipment handling
- Perform duties as prescribed by the Executive Chef and Sous Chef
- Support and uphold the goals and objectives of Audubon Nature Institute’s customer service excellence philosophy
Weave quality entertainment through the guest experience
- Providing enlightened culinary plate presentation and flavors for entertaining food presentations.
- Provide culinary experience and enthusiasm to questions by catering managers, servers or guest.
- Provide friendly service to our customers both internal and external
Operate a financially self-sufficient collection of museums and parks.
- Assist with purchasing process by checking in orders and seeing proper storage, cost control, and scheduling of staff
- Monitor both hourly staff and temporary staff’s labor hours so as to stay within labor cost goals and budget.
Supervision: Kitchen Worker, Dishwashers for direction, Line Cooks
Experience: Must have at least 3-5 years as a line cook or higher in the kitchen
Education: High school diploma and Culinary School preferred
Licensure/Certification: Serve Safe Certification and valid driver's license
Machinery/Tools/Equipment Requirements: Must have the ability to use all types of kitchen equipment to include but not limited to slicers, ovens, grills, kitchen knives, dish washers, kettles, gas burners, tilt skillets, mops, mop buckets and brooms.
- Heavy work: exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, or a negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects. May involve sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
- Sitting or standing, bending, stooping, and the ability to carry items weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Constant adequate range of motion and mobility required.
- Regular near acuity with clarity of vision at 20 inches or less required.
- Typical ability to collect and analyze numerical and written data and verbal information to reach logical conclusions and ability to determine the time, place and sequence of operations or actions required.
- Regular talking and the ability to express and exchange ideas by means of language expected.
- Regular hearing and the ability to perceive the nature of sounds.
- Constant ability to read, record, or type data quickly and accurately required.
- Working long hours between breaks or meals required.
- Ability to work under and handle stress in an appropriate manner required.
- May be exposed to high, medium, or low noise intensity.
- Constant contact with co-workers required.
- Affinity for animals preferred.
- Exposure to fluctuations in temperatures may be required.
- Exposure to outdoor conditions may be required.
- Exposure to standing on your feet for long periods of time.
- Exposure to working with hot equipment and sharp tools.